The following links are a range of resources that focus on Hyperemesis Gravidarum. Many are people sharing their experiences of suffering from the condition, and other provide hints and tips to making it through. Please contact me if you find any others that you think would be worthwhile adding:
An interview with the Duchess of Cambridge
Thanks to the Duchess of Cambridge, HG is now quite a well-known condition by the general public. When my boyfriend explained to concerned neighbours of my condition, many of them asked whether ‘that was the thing that Kate had’. In her first ever podcast, she spoke to Giovanna Fletcher on the ‘Happy mum, happy baby‘ podcast about her general parenting experiences and she talks about her time suffering from HG. It’s quite a light-hearted conversation and doesn’t go into too much detail about her symptoms, but it did make me feel better to know somebody so glamorous had shared a similar experience to me.
Pregnancy Sickness Support – a UK charity specifically for HG
I found the Pregnancy Sickness Support website to be incredibly informative and reassuring. When explaining to people about my condition, I would often send them a page from their website. The fact there is even a charity supporting this condition I think showed people just how severe it can be. Below is the PSS’s introductory video to describe HG to people who aren’t already aware of the condition:
SICK – a documentary on Hyperemesis Gravidarum
Charlotte Howden and Lorne Guy started the Sick film documentary in 2018 after Charlotte decided that she needed to raise awareness of Hyperemesis Gravidarum. The documentary is 30 minutes long and speaks to various women about their experiences. Charlotte also hosts a podcast called the Hyperemesis files which is available on Spotify and Apple.
TRIGGER WARNING: The trailer below shows some very real scenes from women suffering with HG. Please only watch if you are feeling in the right headspace:
There are many bloggers who have used their platforms to speak about their time with HG. Here are a few of the most popular ones:
- Hypermesis Gravidarum Australia has a blog that is frequently updated with new stories and experiences
- Spewing Mummy is a blog based in Cornwall that covers some more in depth matters including updates and discussions on drug recommendations
- Blogger Clemmie Telford has a post on her time with HG
- Delilah Ruby speaks out about her experience
There are also many vloggers who have taken to youtube to share their experiences suffering from HG. I have listed a few below:
- Here is a clip of an interview on the television program This Morning with Holly and Phil speaking to a lady about her experience with HG
- The lifestyle blogger MsVaughnTV from the USA gives a detailed overview of her experience with HG
- Pamela from Aberdeen gives her tips for coping with HG
- WolfeMamma from Ireland shares her story on Hypermesis Gravidarum Awareness Day
- Fashion and lifestyle vlogger Margarita Narzarenko speaks about her experience with HG
Fortunately as HG increases in awareness the number of resources out there with tips and hints are becoming more widespread. I will keep updating this page as I find new sources of information as I found them a great help when I was struggling the most.